Friday, December 28, 2007

Ramblings in the ghosttown

There is a long list of places I'd like to be. Here is not very high on the list.

Yes, it's the last Friday in December, the last Friday of 2007 and I'm here at work at 7:40 in the morning. That's no surprise, really, as I'm always here between 7:30 and 8:00am. However, I'm here all by my lonesome with very little to do. I considered sleeping in, but Susan's life is crazy right now, work-wise, so she was up at the usual time and I tend to get up when she gets up.

One of the disadvantages of switching jobs in September is losing all one's vacation and having to work through the holidays. This is always a dead time in the banking industry as everybody and their mother takes off. I'll have enough work to last me a couple of hours, but beyond that it's just filling time.

The most frustrating thing is that I've got a lot of other stuff to do.

Our favorite local restaurant is having a big New Year's Eve bash and I've been elected to provide music. They've requested 70s and 80s tunes and while I've tons of the latter, I am sadly lacking much of the former. So I would love to be raiding iTunes for some tasty Bee Gees and such (no mockery, please; there would be no techno were it not for Barry, Maurice and Robin).

"Y'all 140bpm bitches wouldn't be shit if it weren't for us."


Anyway, I started making a mix in my head this morning at about 3am and I'd love to get it down.

But here I am. Argh.

I've also got more music in my head and would love to be working on it. I remixed a track by a great downtempo artist who goes by Enjae. I like my "Rainwept" remix (though it still needs mastering), but would like to do a few more. I've already entitled the next one "The Red Wine And Chocolate Mix" and envision tasty mellowness.

But here I am. Argh.

However, I will lightly apply my nose to the grindstone and try to drag out my tasks as long as possible so I don't end up sitting here all day with nada to do.

Don't it just make you wanna cry?

Keeping me from becoming comatose:

Sub Level - The Mechanics Of Coping
(broad-spectrum sonic assault weapon)

Coleman Hawkins - Picasso
(shoo ba do bebop)

Tom Waits - Nighthawks At The Diner
(guided tours of inebriation)

God - Appeal To Human Greed
(KMart and JKFlesh sittin' in a tree, K-I-L-L-I-N-G)

Howlin' Wolf - His Best
(and that's pretty freakin' good)

1 Comments:

Blogger d. said...

NICE mix, man.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home