Friday, January 04, 2008

I not(heart) Huckabee

"My faith is my life -- it defines me. My faith doesn't influence my decisions, it drives them. ... Real faith makes us humble and mindful, not of the faults of others, but of our own."
-Mike Huckabee

My particular fault, Mike? You scare the shit out of me.

Say hello to the current Republican frontrunner: Bush 2.0 or worse (or I guess it should be 3.0); anti-choice, anti-gay, pro-war and anutha God fearin' Christian.

"I come bearing Jesus-flavored Kool Aid"


Oh goody.

I'm of two minds about this. Part of me thinks that it would be good for this sheep herder to get the Reppy nomination, as it's my sincere hope that America has the good sense not to elect someone this far right. The other part of me fears the idea because America does not have the best track record when it comes to good sense. The last two presidential elections illustrate my point, I think.

But can he do it?

I've no idea what the religious demographics of Iowa are, but the conservatives chose the guy who appeared to be... the most conservative (at least of the front runners). Hucky has been playing to the social conservatives very well (which is pretty easy, I guess, since he is one), but will this strategy continue to be effective throughout the primaries? Is the "silent majority" (less silent in recent years) still out there? Will Huckabee's religious fervor be enough for him to beat Guliani, Romney, etc.?

One big piece of the puzzle is Rudy’s "Big State" approach. I think it's a mistake (not that I want him winning either). Putting all your eggs in just a couple of baskets is a tactical error. Better to take your licks now and then and get a better picture of what the national feel is for your campaign. Either way, if this strategy blows up in Guliani's face, Huckabee might waltz his way into the nomination.

(BTW, does anybody else think that Mikey looks vaguely like Kevin Spacey? Sorry. Random neuron firing.)

So the Republican race is shaping up to be pretty interesting; Dems' too, especially with Hillary coming in a surprising THIRD! Edwards must be sporting a major woody this morning. Anyway, I think it might be a real scrap on both sides for awhile and that's good. America needs a slap-in-the-face election to get us thinking again. God knows we really need to pull our heads out of our asses.

Pagan plague carrier campaign songs:

Immortal - Battles In The North
(‘cause my imaginary world is colder than your imaginary world)

Tord Gustavsen Trio - The Ground
(tasty Nord-jazz from ECM)

Various - I Need It Records Compilation 1
(including trax from A Great White Bird; yummy!)

Various - Disco Essentials 1-6
(seven hours of glitter balls and ugly clothes)

Grooverider - Mysteries Of Funk
(d and b in the place to be)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home