Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Poised

Forty-five years ago, a great man stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and told the nation of his dream. He spoke of a time when his children would "live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"; a time when "we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood."

And while we all can still hear those jangling discords, it seems to me that we are ready to take another step towards that dream.

Perhaps I'll be eating crow tomorrow, hanging my head in defeat, but I truly believe that Barack Obama will be the next President of the United States. Already we have seen record voter turnout. Most of the early voting ballots were cast by Democrats and while there is no guarantee that these folks didn't vote for John McCain, it's a good bet that the majority of them didn't.

I still feel the wave building.

Today marks the 20th anniversary of my political life. This was the sixth ballot I've cast for President and I'm a pitiful 2 for 5. So I may stand at .500 come tomorrow.

Whatever the outcome, this has undoubtedly been the most intense, exciting, and frustrating political race I have ever been privy to and while it is my sincere hope that Obama will indeed stand triumphant after the smoke clears, there is no denying that this country's future will be deeply changed, regardless of the result.

Do your part to make this happen. Go vote.

Hailing the Chief with:

Various - Texas Guitar Killers
(ripping out the blues)

Various - Trojan Dub Box Set
(dem find de best and play dem here)

Cardopusher - Mutant Dubstep Vol. 2
(cavernous bass and stuttering beats)

Ashtech - Walkin' Target
(more tasty dubstep)

Opeth - Damnation
(an acoustic surprise from epic metal masters)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home