Thursday, June 23, 2005

Is there anybody out there?

Perhaps one of the most frustrating aspects of being an independent musician (there, I said it) is the feeling that you are adrift in a vast sea and no one can hear you. I say this because there is SO much music available on the internet and that makes it extremely difficult to get your tunes heard.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking to make a living with what has always been essentially a hobby. I would, however, like to share my stuff with people (and maybe make a couple of extra bucks on the side). I've considered direct mail campaigns and other such stuff, but that's expensive, plus part of me is morally opposed to that kind of invasiveness (as I mentioned in a recent email to Wink of Austere).

The root of my problem, I suppose, is marketing and promotion. I simply don't know how to do it. I post news to Yahoo groups and such, but it seems to no avail. I suppose I should get some flyers done and then distribute them at Other Music and some "alternative" record shops here in New York, but that's still a limited audience. How do I get my message spread to folks that are going to want to hear what I've created?

Not to toot my own horn, but I listen to some of the stuff that I own myself and I know that my music is as good (if not sometimes better) than what I'm hearing. It frustrates me that I can't share my sonics with lots and lots of people.

So any advice anybody has would be greatly appreciated. Help a brother out.

With a name like MTR, it has to be good.


Wishing everyone could hear:

Abstract Audio Systems - Gossamer
(blending electronics and acoustics; it's just damned pretty)

Abstract Audio Systems - The Ivory EP
(like Gossamer, but earlier)

Godflesh - In All Languages
(an excellent 2 disc overview of the majesty and malignance that was Godflesh)

Various - The Lo Fibre Companion
(weird, twisted beatfreakery from JKFlesh and others; that's just nasty, baby)

Various - Mechanical Ambient Atmospheres
(more sounds from the edge of reason)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home