Friday, July 29, 2005

Harder than the rest

Today is my last day at my assignment here in Jersey City. I was fortunate enough to land a new position back in midtown Manhattan and I start Monday. I'll be working for a Managing Director who's fairly high up the food chain. This is a good thing because it means there will be a lot of work to do. That means no unemployment worries for a while.

Knock on wood.

My current boss has been kind enough to encourage me to take a half day today. Nice guy. I've got some stuff to wrap up, but I should be out of here early. In keeping with the speed of the day, however, I've been indulging in a new found sound friend: Nasum.

Today's word is: grindcore.

Hyperspeed blast beats, howled and growled vocals, insanely technical guitar riffing at speeds that simply boggle the mind. If you're brave enough, check out "Feed Them, Kill Them, Skin Them". All you have to do is hang on for 50 seconds. No, it's not a sample; it's the whole song...

I downloaded their album Inhale/Exhale off of EMusic.com this month and have been headsnapping ever since. I also downloaded a bunch of free tracks off their website and tossed together a comp that I've dubbed Various Deviances. I suspect I'm going to get completist about these guys.

Unfortunately, that will be fairly easy to do.

While the band was founded in 1992, they only released four full length albums. Each of these CDs has anywhere from 25 to 40 tracks on it, although they're all less than an hour long (as I said, today's word is grindcore). They also released a couple of singles and splits, but I got most of that off their website.

The sad thing is that they're not going to do any more music. Their lead singer, Mieszko Talarczyk, was vacationing in Thailand for his thirtieth birthday in December of 2004. Yup. You guessed it. He was killed during the tsunami. While his body was not identified until February of 2005, the band had already decided that they would not continue if he had not survived. So they've put down their instruments, at least under the Nasum moniker. Hopefully the surviving members will continue to create through other projects. I do, however, deeply respect their decision.

R.I.P. Mieszko Talarczyk and Nasum. Thanks for all of the skull crushing, face ripping tunes.


Faster than you:

Nasum - Inhale/Exhale
(38 tracks in 45 minutes; try to keep up)

Nasum - Various Deviances
(contains a live recording that is 3 songs in five minutes; get the picture?)

The Redeemer - Hardcore Owes Us Money
(Panacea and DJ Scud team up for some tongue-in-cheek techno-breakage)

Curse Of The Golden Vampire - Mass Destruction
(JKFlesh and the Bug cast aside Alec Empire and get even meaner)

Various - Demon Spirit Bitch From Hell
(two jam packed discs of fuckin' GABBER!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home