Wednesday, July 20, 2005

This should be... interesting

So Dumbya has picked John Roberts as he nominee for the Supreme Court.

I'm intrigued.

The man wrote a brief in 1991 stating that Roe Vs Wade should be overturned, yet he insists that he was simply representing his client (in this case, the government under George Bush the Elder) and that "there's nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent".

Let's hope not.

(This is yet another reason I could never be a lawyer; couldn't sufficiently separate myself from issues)

Roberts also believes that the Geneva Conventions don't apply to terrorists, essentially OK-ing the shenanigans going on at Gitmo.

That's kind of a dangerous precendent.

I'm also spooked by his rulings about the environment, religion in schools, etc. I'm especially spooked 'cause he worked for that vindictive little monkey, Ken Starr (if there was ever a last name misnomer, that one's a champ).

Still, many say that he's not a completely hardline conservative (although the fact that he's a devout Roman Catholic casts some doubt on that, methinks). We'll see, I guess. It's just my sincere hope that we don't get stuck with Scalia Jr.

If we do, start buying stock in coat hanger factories.



Far less crude than my final comment:

Deep Forest - Boheme
(the pygmies have left the building)

Madonna - Ray Of Light
(and the ray's name is William Orbit)

Loren MazzaCane Connors - Portrait Of A Soul
(delicate and melancholy; an interesting tangent for this avant-garder)

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
(future retro, baby)

Ween - GodWeenSatan: The Oneness
(the first CD from the mean Dean and Gene team)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home