Monday, August 01, 2005

New jobs for everybody

Whelp, today is my first day in my new position. I'm back in midtown Manhattan, which is a relief. Things are slow today as I get rolling, of course, but there seems to be a lot to do. So I'm happy about my new job.

I bet John Bolton is feeling pretty much the same.

Yep. Dumbya has managed to backdoor Bolton into the U.N., using the positively West Wing-ian tactic of recess appointment (thanks to Aaron Sorkin for teaching me all about those...). This way the entire Senate confirmation process gets bypassed. No fuss, no muss, no vote. OK, methinks there will be some fuss. It will come to nothing in the end, but there will be a fuss. Very sneaky, George.

From what I've read about Bolton, he sounds like a steamroller. When accepting his new position, he said, "It will be a distinct privilege to be an advocate for America's values and interests at the U.N."

Great.

"Values" is such a charged word in our society (often coupled with the words "family" or "conservative"), so I'm a bit apprehensive to see exactly what he means by this. I've a feeling that Bolton is simply going to add to the bully mystique that the United States is so effectively cultivating these days. Time to make some more enemies out of friends? Let's hope not.

John Bolton would hate:

Various - DTS Volume 11
(strange, downtempo ditties plucked from the net)

Various - Kikapu Sampler 12
(glorious DIY electronic tuneage from the awesome net label)

Souns - Lights
(more joy from Kikapu)

Various - Portraits Of JKFlesh
(various recordings by Justin Broadrick of Godflesh fame)

Cranes - Various Confections
(random tracks downloaded from various places)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home