Friday, August 25, 2006

Gettin' my sultry on

Even a cursory glance at my CD collection will reveal that there is something seriously wrong with me.

True, hell-inspired devil grunting by the likes of Belphegor and Panzerchrist sits side by side with the lightning-fast aggression of bands such as Nasum and Napalm Death and Curse Of The Golden Vampire always lurks in the background, ready, willing and able to obliterate just about anybody. It's more that these likeminded fellows don't see eye to eye (or ear to ear) with some of the other residents on my overly packed music shelves. Can you imagine seeing Fred Astaire (were he not dead) at a black metal concert? Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Likewise, I would hazard a guess that the strapping gents from Immortal would prefer to keep their distance from the next big hiphop tour.

Suffice to say I'm a bit schizophrenic when it comes to da tunes.

And I wouldn't want it any other way, baby.

However, as I am blessed with a highly organized brain, I can manage to focus musically if I REALLY CONCENTRATE. The most recent time I did this, I was feeling in a mellow mood. I'd stumbled upon a long lost copy of Gotan Project and had quickly plunged further into that seriously laid back vibe. But try as I might (and I WAS REALLY CONCENTRATING), I couldn't stop my trusty old thinkin' box from making sonic connections. Visions of flows and mixes danced in my head and lo, the birth of DJ Abstract 17: Midnight At The Velvet Club.

I'm digging this one a lot. There's a distinct jazz and latin feel to it, but I also threw in some more melancholy sounds (the Moby track especially) and some pretty wicked underground hiphop (The Opus is The Bomb!). The flow is good, though there are a few mixing foul ups. Still, I'm happy. I wanted a smoky, after hours, early morning hideaway feel and I think I pegged it.

Here be that list o' tracks:

01 Fat Jon The Ample Soul Physician - Feel The Void
02 DJ Krush - Song 1
03 Skalpel - Sculpture
04 Bajofondo Tango Club - Forma
05 St. Germain - What You Think About
06 Tricky - Suffocated Love
07 Gotan Project - Chunga's Revenge
08 Monsieur Leroc - Apres Ski
09 Puracane - Big Day
10 Moby - The Sky Is Broken
11 The Opus - Isis
12 Omid - Club Apotheosis
13 Boom Bip & DJ Osiris - Voodoo Science
14 VU - Seven Grain
15 Waldeck - Fallen Angel (Urbs Remix)
16 Sub City - Parasight



I also had a chance to see Bianca last night for the first time in about 4 months. She spun a sweet (but miserably short) set of goth/industrial at Happy Ending last night. It was a brief visit, but fun was had.

But then again, that's always how we roll, no?

Causing further fractures in my head:

Various - DJ Abstract 17: Midnight At The Velvet Club
(home of the suave, son)

Pink Floyd - Animals
(I now own each of Floyd's Big Four)

Various - Fear Of A Digital Planet
(Vinyl Republic offers up the audio goodies)

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
(keeping the Native Tongue vibe alive)

Milt Jackson - Wizard Of The Vibes
(ain't that the truth)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home