Friday, April 01, 2005

Chatty Cathy union

Seems a lot of people have a lot to say about the Schiavo mess. There appear to be three schools of thought:

1) Michael Schiavo is the devil and will burn in hell, Terri was murdered, etc.
2) Terri's parents were selfish and should have let this end a long time ago.
3) Condolences to both sides and no assignment of blame.

I find myself swaying between options 2 and 3.

I've done enough research into Terri's condition (at least what was publicly available), as well as research into severe brain damage cases like Terri's, to know that she had no chance of recovery. I agree she would have died shortly after her collapse in 1990 were it not for modern medicine keeping her alive. So I find option 1 patently ridiculous, for I believe Terri passed away years ago. What was kept alive was just an empty shell with its motor still running (here come the flames).

I cannot say, however, that the Schindlers are bad people. They didn't want to lose their daughter. It's that simple. I'm not a parent, so I can't know what it must be like, but I can imagine how agonizing it was for them to decide EITHER WAY. They held onto an unreasonable hope that somehow their daughter would recover, but this was an unreasonable situation. It's hard to be rational when dealing with the health and well being of family members or loved ones.

Helping me from being depressed today:

Fugazi - Repeater + 3 Songs
(Ian MacKaye and crew playing the punk)

Curve - Chinese Burn
(tasty remixes)

Prince - Batman Motion Picture Soundtrack
(including "Scandalous", the most goofily romatic R&B song ever)

EOSS - Appliance Of Science 4/28/01
(moody, blippy, happy)

EOSS - Appliance Of Science 3/2/02
(more moody, blippy, happy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home