Thursday, May 26, 2005

Feedin' the punk funk junkie

To brutally paraphrase Bram Stoker, “the tunes are the life”.

Music is my all-consuming passion. Not a day goes by that I am not investigating some new artist, album, style, etc. If only I could find a way to make money with my music knowledge props…

Anyway, much of my music collection consists of tracks downloaded off the internet. Note that the VAST majority of this stuff is completely legal: snagged off artists sites, free demos, etc. Of course, this is why almost nobody has ever heard of a lot of the stuff I play when I’m DJing. Happy happy joy joy.

So I’ve never signed up for Napster, Kazaa, and the like. I’ve been content to cruise around the obscure edges of the net, picking up weird shit. However, I recently stumbled across Emusic. After tooling around for a while, I ACTUALLY SIGNED UP. Can you believe it?

With Emusic, you can download up to 40 tracks a month for $9.99. And it’s all legal. The artists get paid when I snag stuff. And who can sneeze at $0.40 (or less) a track? They’ve got other packages, including a 90 for $19.99 option, but I’m gonna stick with 40 for $9.99 for now. However, I don’t know if I can stay content with that amount of content (chuckle).

The selection on Emusic is excellent. I’ve already downloaded the new Meat Beat Manifesto album, as well as more DJ? Acucrack (aw yeah!), Cranes, Flunk, and Tom Waits stuff. The site has also got some great metal shit I’m going to grab. My "Save For Later" list is already up to about 15 albums.

I’M A JUNKIE, BABY!

My secret stash today, thanks to my Emusic pusher, includes:

Meat Beat Manifesto - At The Center
(JD does afro-cuban outer space funk)

DJ? Acucrack - Mako Vs. Geist
(use da bass to break 'em off sumpin')

Crane - Submarine EP
(trip out to the middle of nowhere with Alison and Co)

Tom Waits - The Early Years Volume 1
(Springsteen is indebted up to his ass to this man)

Bill Laswell - Outer Dark
(two epic, middle eastern ambient tracks from the duke of down)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home