Friday, July 01, 2005

Magnificent Meat

Caught quite a show at Irving Plaza last night. On the bill: Dub Trio, Ming & FS, and Meat Beat Manifesto.

Oh, the tasty.

Dub Trio had their moments. When they were doing the dub thing, it was all good. Unfortunately, they did slipped into jam band wankiness more often than I would have liked. It was obvious on several occasions that they wished they were Bad Brains, but it wasn't even close. They rocked out now and again, which was a bit fun, but overall I'd rate them a pretty lukewarm.

Ming & FS mixed up a pretty wicked set, my only complaint being that they would switch vibes too quickly. I'd be maniacally thrashing about to some hard d&b and then all of a sudden they'd toss in a headnod vibe. While I like a variety of music with my DJ sets as much as the next goon, it was tough to get a really good groove going with all the change ups. Still, fun was had and sweat was shed.

Then Meat Beat took the stage about 11:15. Their opener?

"I Am Electro".

I knew immediately that we were in for a killer set...

They stormed through a bunch of my faves, including "Helter Skelter", "Radio Babylon", "She's Unreal", "Hello Teenage America" and a host of other MBM classics. The vibe was insane, almost every song beginning with a joyous bellow from the crowd once they recognized the tune. I danced like a madman and was (in typical fashion) shirtless within the first two or three songs. The crowd was also cool. Not at as packed as I'd expected (or hoped; Jack deserves everyone's worship), but that left mucho roomo to flail about.

Dangers and crew also laid down plenty of dub-inflected stuff, including some amazing interpretations of tracks off of Subliminal Sandwich. They played for over 2 hours, ending off with an incredible encore:

"House Of God" by D.H.S.

Ben Stokes, the mad brain behind Dimensional Holophonic Sound, is a member of the MBM touring band, so mad props to him for making this miracle happen. Bianca and I lost our damned minds (for about the hundreth time that evening) and stomped as if our lives depended on it. Just awesome.

So, sweaty, sore, and completely wiped out after close to 5 hours straight of nonstop dancing, I stumbled home around 1:30 this morning. Goodness, what a night.

I'm all happy now.

Genius Jack lays back


Saving the universe from boring tunes with my sidekicks:

3rd Bass - The Cactus Album
(Pete Nice, Serch, produced by Sam Sever)

White Zombie - Supersexy Swingin' Sounds
(retwisting the twisted)

Proswell - MP3 Compilations 1&2
(widereaching experimental electronic escapades)

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
(still trying to wrap my head around this one; not their best...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home