Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I'm just sayin'

I was not one of those kids who wanted to grow up to be an astronaut. Sure, the concept of seeing the earth from space is pretty amazing, but I've jumped out of a plane at 13000 feet and that was high enough, thanks.

That being said, I've always been impressed by the bravery of those who choose to enter our space program, especially after the two shuttle disasters. I'll never forget how I felt when I saw the Challenger explode or the Columbia disintegrate. Chilling.

So I was a bit apprehensive about the shuttle launch this time around, especially after all the delays due to technical problems. I was understandably relieved when the launch was successful, but a colleague of mine raised an interesting point. If it were not for all of the media hype surrounding the possibility of another disaster, would we have cared? Taken a step further (and directly into the shadowy land of conspiracy theory), could it be that NASA exaggerated the danger for the sake of renewed public interest in the space program?

OK, maybe not. But it's a thought.

I mean, did anybody watch the spacewalk this morning? It was touted as this incredibly difficult and dangerous maneuver, yet it took about 3 minutes and involved one of the astronauts pulling a strip of something off the bottom of the shuttle.

Not really gripping.

Still, I'm not even remotely qualified to guess at what is going on up there. I just wish them luck. If this has all been a media blitz, then I think it may have worked. They got my attention, after all. If it wasn't a media blitz, I just hope that things don't go really wrong.

End of random, meaningless comments.

I would awaken the shuttle astronauts with the following:

Hardfloor - Da Damn Phreak Noize Phunk
(acid acid acid acid acid)

Bowery Electric - Beat
(sounds like somebody likes Seefeel)

E-Sassin - The Best Of Sound Sphere Recordings
(tasty dark ass drum and bass)

Godflesh - In All Languages
(some of the best GF tracks assembled all in one place)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home