Friday, September 02, 2005

Back from the dead

After several days of being miserably sick, I have returned to the land of the living. I had started feeling yucky Sunday night, but wrote it off as allergies. However, by the end of work on Monday, I was pretty miserable. I made it through a half day on Tuesday before I threw in the towel. But thanks to the miracle of TheraFlu, I was fully recovered by yesterday afternoon.

And not a moment to soon.

As I mentioned before, I had the good fortune of striking up a conversation with a woman named Thea at the last Contempt. Well, we finally got together last night and took in some really great Brazilian jazz at Zinc Bar. The act for the evening featured vocalist Patrick De Santos, who was just stellar. The man has a three octave range, soaring from beautifully smoky lower tenor notes to a delicate yet powerful falsetto; truly an amazing singer. He was so solid and comfortable in his upper range that there were times that I would have sworn I was listening to a woman (and this is by no means an insult). While the vocals themselves were all in Portuguese (at least Thea seemed to this so), there were also times where he broke into a kind of scat, wordless vocalizations that fluttered around the top of his considerable range.

Meanwhile, Thea and I had a wonderful conversation covering everything from home studio gear, books, the music we love, and all manner of other subjects. We finally left the bar a little after midnight.

What a great evening. I plan to make Zinc Bar a regular haunt, methinks. In the meantime, I'm out with Marti this evening, then a wedding tomorrow. I'll be taking in the Enduser show on Sunday night (should be AMAZING) and then Merzbow on Tuesday next. Hopefully this all won't make me sick again...

A solid dose of audio antibiotics from:

Plumbline - Pin-Points
(clicking and tumbling glitch constructions)

Plumbline - Circles
(perhaps more delicate than Pin-Points, making it all the more lovely)

Freq. Magnet - Principium Somniferum
(the latest side project from Austere; minimal guitar ambient confections)

Various - In Order To Dance 5
(3 discs of hardedge techno from the ever dependable R&S label, circa 1994)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yea!

everyone is hooking up! as i have done the opposite and sworn to celibacy!




























...i'm not kidding

2:15 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

No hooking up was done. The evening ended with a hug and I'm still not 100% that she's interested "in that way". Would be nice, tho...

And some day your prince will come. Hopefully not Prince, but a prince. ("And your... ki-yes")

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home