Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Two paths diverged in a yellow wood

I've worked as a consultant at this firm for over ten years now. Hell, I started working for them before all the merger madness. I've seen two mergers and held five different positions. Many is the time I've heard talk of them hiring me on full time, but it's always come to naught.

Until now.

They've offered to take me on as a full time employee. After years of dealing with three month contracts and seemingly endless extentions, they've finally put an offer on the table.

Many folks would see this as a good thing. More security, more opportunity for advancement, a place to finally rest my head (as it were).

However, many folks aren't me.

Here's the problem. I already get great benefits from my consulting company. I've been with them since I moved to New York in 1996 and they've treated me very well. Sure, I've made them tons of money, but they've always done right by me.

But, truly, in the end, it all comes down to the dollas: taking them up on their offer would involve me taking at 20% pay cut.

Ouch.

Sure, I'd get a five to ten thousand dollar bonus at the end of the year, but even with that I'd still be making less than I am now. I still have to find out if they're offering stock options, etc., but in the end it's less. I'm going to try to bump them up another ten grand, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Unfortunate.

So, barring a change of heart on their part, I'll be job searching again soon. Given my pattern, I'll probably land another position at here. They can't seem to get rid of me.

Or perhaps I should just quit the IT game and become a bike messenger.

Perhaps that will make all the difference.

Strong enough for a man, made for fucking everybody:

Entombed - Left Hand Path
(towering, groundbreaking, gut crushing death metal)

Prince - Diamonds And Pearls
(say something; I dare you)

Bit Shifter - Life's A Bit Shifter
(8-bit wicked shit)

Portishead - Portishead
(and that head is nodding)

Various - DJ Abstract 12: The E.SP. Mix
(housetechobreakage)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't read the date on this - might be too late, but take heart when negotiating that even if they paid you *exactly* what you are personally taking home right now, they would still be saving at LEAST 40% on whatever they were paying your consulting company. at least.

them wanting to pay you even less is just an hr ploy to keep their payroll numbers down.

Don't bite - don't even defend your usefullness or you need for the money. All you have to do is explain to them that it wouldn't make any sense to work for them full time unless you were making at least what you're making now, especially considering you already have great benefits, and that if they cannot do that or continue to hire you as a consultant that you'll need to look elsewhere for a job that will fulfill those criterion.

Especially since it's the truth and you're not bluffing, it should work just fine.

just my 2 cents.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home