Monday, May 05, 2008

Shades of gray

My brain is continually fed music from all types of sources. I tracked down Royksopp because of a Geico commercial (thanks, Cave Man!); got into Negativland after hearing "Christianity Is Stupid" on WKDU (not to be confused with the evil swill that is KTU); and discovered Nine Inch Nails when they opened for The Jesus And Mary Chain. Point being, it all comes pretty fast and furious. There are times, in fact, when I remember the music, but forget the source.

Case in point: The Veils.

I don't remember which movie I was veiwing, but "Vicious Traditions" got played during the ending credits. I immediately went into "search and acquire" mode and was fortunate enough to find The Runaway Found on Emusic.com. The entire album is great, but "Vicious Traditions" is still the standout track for me.

I told you that story so I can tell you this story.

I broke out the tune again a couple of days ago and like some sinister moss or creeping vine, a mix began to grow around it. Note that this is not a happy song, nor is it the type of track I usually use in my mixes, so I knew right away that this was going to be a) tricky and b) probably weird.

It's both.

This particular mix is strange and introspective enough (not to mention oddly personal) that I decided to forego the usual DJ Abstract XX: The Something Mix dubbing and simply entitle it Grayside Tales.

This is some bleak stuff.

Not exactly sad, just... unsettling. There are a couple moments of lightness, but for the most part there's an emptiness and desperation to it.

Not to mention the fact that it ends in a crushing, fifteen minute Swans track.

01 A.O.S. - History Repeats Itself
02 Jarboe - Lavender Girl
03 Einsturzende Neubauten - Blume
04 Dome - Cruel When Complete
05 This Mortal Coil - I Must Have Been Blind
06 Michael Andrews - Mad World
07 The Young Gods - September Song
08 The Veils - Vicious Traditions
09 The Jesus And Mary Chain - Just Like Honey
10 Cranes - Driving In The Sun (Dimitri Tikovoi Remix)
11 Area - Filled
12 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Modern Romance
13 The Cure - In Your House (Holland 1/80)
14 Sonic Youth - Secret Girl
15 Swans - Helpless Child

You can hear it in its entirety here.



I've no idea where this came from, because it's not like I've been miserable or anything. But this thing randomly birthed itself and I just went with the flow.

Mood lighteners:

Various - Grayside Tales
(ok... not so light)

Various - Future Jazz
(harder bop)

Big Black - The Rich Man's Eight Track Tape
(places no respectable man would be seen)

ShadowVox - Zero*Zen*Terminate
(by the elusive M Furgeson)

Madvillian - Madvillian
(beware the metal faced one)

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Turns out the movie that featured "Vicious Traditions" was "Mr. Brooks". Not a bad flick, despite the presence of Kevin Costner, one of my least favorite actors.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home