Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I want my MBV

Derek has been writing a lot lately about the shows he's been going to. These posts have made several references to "shoegazer" music. I've been a fan of the style ever since being introduced to My Bloody Valentine in the mid-80's. Because of MBV, I stumbled upon bands like Catherine Wheel, Seefeel, Lush, Slowdive, Curve, and many others. Admittedly, some of these folks aren't technically shoegazers, but it's a question of deriving sweet music through the use of noise and feedback; for in truth, I came across My Bloody Valentine thanks to my love of The Jesus And Mary Chain and Sonic Youth, some of the original masters of noise rock. But that's another story and debate entirely. Anyway, the point is this.

I want more My Bloody Valentine.

With the apparent resurgence of shoegazer, it makes sense to me to hear more from that the people who perfected it, for their 1991 album Loveless is THE definitive shoegazer record; anyone who says different is tacitly wrong, in addition to be guilty of blasphemy.



My mind reels at the possibilities of what Kevin Shields is capable of given 14+ years of technological advancements. In fact, rumor has it that after Loveless the band completed two entire albums of material that they never released. I'd think there'd be enough in those records alone to come up with some pretty amazing stuff. Sure, maybe it wouldn't be classic My Bloody Valentine, but I can't imagine it would be bad. In fact, it might reinvigorate or repoint the genre in a new direction, much like their records of the 1980s.

One can only hope. In the interim, I listen to Loveless and all the other stuff I've got be them and simply hope for the best.

Musical travelogue provided by:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
(the blueprint)

This Mortal Coil - Filigree & Shadow
(folk, pop, ambient, dance; it's a box of chocolates)

Tino's Breaks - Halloween Dub
(de dead will rize and dance upon de ert)

Madvillain - Madvillainy
(written in cold blood with a tooth pick)

Headcase - Crosseyedrabbit
(D. Garcia of Curve proves he loves everybody)

> 1 day offa da sauce

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home