Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A country divided

Yesterday, two very different parts of the country once again showed what a divided nation we are.

Voters in Texas voted overwhelmingly in favor of a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. Can't say I'm remotely surprised by this. After all, the Lone Star State is presently one of the most conservative states in our fragile union. Besides, you know how those cowboys feel about "them faggots".

Conversely, voters in Maine nixed an attempt by that state's conservatives to repeal a law that fights discrimination against gays and lesbians. This also comes as no surprise, as Maine has been solidly liberal since the 1960s (despite the sinister presence of Kennebunkport).

Now, I could go off about how one of the problems with being such a large country is the resultant number of stupid people (hello, Texas; no, Gio, I don't mean you), but I won't. I'd just like to point out that we live in nation that is filled to the brim with differing opinions and it's damn near impossible to believe that one day we'll all see eye to eye.

Some folks want to continue to live in the 50s, I guess.

I have no solution to this problem and no doubt anything I say regarding how to combat this close-minded conservatism will sound like I'm high-horsing. Hell, just calling it "close-minded conservatism" pretty much proves that point. It just makes me angry that these types of attitudes continue to exist in the 21st century. You'd think we would have all evolved past petty bullshit like sexual orientation by now.

Oh, wait.

I forgot about the bible, the book that apparently tells all these people to hate homosexuals. In that case, I stand corrected. After all, it totally makes sense to follow ideas that were put forth over two thousand years ago.

Way to be current, folks.

Of course, blaming it on religion simply ignores the underlying reason: fear of anybody who’s not us. Gays if we’re straight, blacks if we’re white, etc. In short, seems to me a lot of us would prefer to live in a completely homogeneous society.

An aside to voters in Texas: homogeneous means "the same", not gay.

Further proof that I'm a queer-loving, pinko-commie liberal:

Tom Waits - Bad News Out Of A Pretty Mouth
(my attempt to compile all my favorite Waits tracks; ended up with 2 discs and lots of omissions)

LFO - Frequencies
(what is house? this is house)

Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back To Life
(all the subtlety of a shotgun blast to the head, but only half the calories)

Various - Bludgeoned
(assault and battery music lovingly compiled by Gio)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr ben

i ask you of this seriously

can you give me a crash corse in world history from the past 100 years. i know nothing!!!!!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home