Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Who are we?

It's gotten to the point where I'm almost afraid to surf to CNN.

Every day there's new stories about some madness that the US is engaged in. Torture, secret prisons, dropping white phosphorous on people, our soldiers dying in a pointless war, the government continuing to lie about pretty much everything... It just goes on and on.

And the bitch of it? I love this country. There's nowhere else I'd rather live and I count myself lucky to have been born here. There is no way I'd be living the life I lead if I hadn't been.

But everything seems out of control.

I'm not a big believer in fear, but doesn't it seem like living here is getting scarier? Everybody hates us and we certainly continue to give them good reasons to. We've got a "might makes right, love it or leave it, America's way or the die way" president behind the wheel and a bunch of manifest destiny Wolfowitz doctrine neocons in the back seat.

P. Wolfie: Architect of Doom


To quote somebody (I don't remember who), "Travel tip for Americans when traveling abroad: Say you're Canadian."

Add to this our internal crumblings. Rising deficit, Patriot Acts that are eroding our civil rights, right wing Supreme Court justices and nominees... It's like everything is falling apart.

God's pissed at us too. Hurricanes, floods. Not quite biblical, but well on the way...



There's really no point to this post. I've got no insightful suggestions or solutions. It just seems to me that everything is going to hell in a hat basket (BTW, when was the last time you actually saw a hat basket?) and that's just the way things are.

I just hope at some point the country wakes up and sees that who we are isn't who we should be.

Alternate nation anthems:

Mad Professor - Under The Spell Of Dub
(from the organic to the robotronic)

Horchata/Ocosi - 2
(dark, slippery beats and spookiness)

Bowery Electric - Lushlife
(not Coltrane, but he'd probably like it anyway)

Billie Holiday - The Legacy 1933-1958
(no matter how bad it gets, Billie had it worse)

Godflesh - Songs OF Love And Hate
(get crushed like a roach)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home