Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Turn on the sweat machine

In a somewhat effective bid to keep myself from turning into a flabby, middle-aged person, I've been taking spinning class (the bike kind, not the DJ kind) at my local New York Sports. These classes have been fun and challenging, but for the most part, the music the instructors play is LAME in the extreme. Difficult to go maniacal to classic rock and Enya. No offense to either. I just can't go balls out to "Orinoco Flow". Sorry.

Anyway, the one shining light in all this musical darkness is Jerry, the guy who teaches the class on Mondays at 6:30am. His music kicks butt. I also gave him one of my DJ demos (DJ Abstract's Hyperlight Mix 4) and he loved it. In fact, he's used it a couple of times in class, which is awesome. Always fun to go crazy to your own set of tunes.

Jerry keeps threatening to email me, but so far has not. I decided to forego the waiting and throw together a new mix.

It is a monster.

May I present DJ Abstract's Sweatbox Mix 5

01 DJ Bubba - The Unknown Future
02 Current Value - Into The Light
03 DJ Wildchild - Forbidden (Drumsound & Bassline Smith RMX)
04 Chris Hale - Beautiful Moon
05 Enduser - Jung N' Base
06 EOSS - Beat
07 DJ? Acucrack - Platinum
08 DJ Flack - The Story Of Oh (EOSS Remix)
09 Resfilter - Sketchy
10 Jimmy Behan - Deeper Than Heaven


(Hey, Derek. I totally stole the cover from you. I'm not selling the mix, but if Jerry gives me money, I'll give you half. Your photos rule.)

I designed the mix with spinning in mind, so the disc flows as follows: 10 to 15 minutes of high-paced breakbeat for sprinting and intensity followed by 5 to 8 minutes of slower, beat-heavy tunes for climbs and recovery. Repeat as needed for about 50 minutes.

Noice.

Hopefully Jerry will enjoy it. I know it was fun to make. I was jumping around my bedroom like a mad fool whilst mix it. Just kickin'.

Today's headcrush party:

Various - DJ Abstract's Sweatbox Mix 5
(the aforementioned)

Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants
(hear the boys do electronica symphonies)

Front Line Assembly - Live Wired
(Bill Leeb is taller than you. And meaner. Guitar industrial that goes for the throat)

Tom Waits - Franks Wild Years
(probably my favorite Waits album, although that is a TOUGH choice to make)

Tricky - Maxinquaye
(in a fight to the death with Dummy for greatest triphop album of all time)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home