Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Land of sick fucks

I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve been blessed with a relatively violence-free existence. I go about my day mindful of my surroundings, of course, but I am, for the most part, blissfully buffered from most of the harshness of life. That’s why stuff like this really whigs me out. Two kids beating somebody to death for kicks.

That’s just fucked up.

How does this kind of heartlessness evolve? Is it innate? Were these two bastards just screwed in the head to begin with or did they somehow grow into this? I’d be interested to learn what their lives are like. Perhaps the answer to their actions lies there. Child abuse, neglect, and all those other goodies can often twist people into horrible ghouls like these punks.

Then again, I know plenty of people (my sister and me included) who suffered as kids, yet came out the other side of childhood fairly well adjusted. Certainly I’ve had murderous thoughts. Who hasn’t? Yet I’ve obviously never acted upon them and they’ve always been specifically directed. What these kids did, however, was purely anonymous violence, inflicted on someone they didn’t even know. It was a murder of convenience, which makes it all the more terrible.

Now the spectacle will begin. Should these kids be charged as adults (I’d say yes)? Florida is a death penalty state (almost 375 executions under their belt), so the 18 year old is definitely eligible, as the Sunshine State executes folks as young as 17. Perhaps the 14 year old will get lucky and not get bumped anyway.

Cases like this make me really examine my anti-death penalty stance. Sometimes it’s hard to separate the ideas of justice and fairness from thoughts of revenge and punishment. Part of me would like to see these heartless punks die, but who knows what else could be done for them? Thank goodness the decision doesn’t lie in my hands. Perhaps that’s cowardly, but it is still a relief.

Cranking the creaking gramophone in my head:

Nick Cramer - Anti-Gravity
(from the depths of space it came, spreading mellow throughout the stars; um… yeah)

Chris Brombach - MP3 Compilation
(blues inflected downtempo; where did this guy disappear to?)

Bjork - Telegram
(mighty fine remixes of mighty fine songs from a mighty fine Icelander)

John Coulter - MP3 Compilation
(will beat down any MC for food)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home