Sunday, May 15, 2005

The weaker sex?

According to a 1010 WINS report I heard this morning, crime is down across the city of New York. However, there is one exception. Apparently there has been an alarming increase in crimes involving teenage girls. Not as victims, but as perps.

These young women are becoming increasingly involved in street gangs and are carrying knives, guns, and other weaponry. In other words, these girls are armed to the teeth. And why do they think they can get away with it? Because they believe that they're “less likely to get searched than boys”.

And, for the most part, they're right.

Many is the time I've been patted up and down whilst going into a club while my female friends simply stroll through the door, purse and all. Once, I was forced to walk several blocks to a local bowling alley to store my backpack when I attempted to take it into Yankee stadium. Meanwhile, when I returned, the woman in front of me was carrying a bag you could hide a baby bull elephant in. She got absolutely no flack for it and waddled through the turnstile without a blip.

I was rather put out, but to no avail.

I suppose this subtle brand of sexism is not surprising. Men do commit most violent crimes. We tend to be more aggressive, etc. However, could it be that this is changing? Given the gradual erasure of gender roles, could it be that women are getting just as volatile as men, especially given the additional leeway they seem to be afforded, i.e. "I can get away with this because I'm a girl"? I'm not sure this is becoming omnipresent, but it is certainly something to ponder. And I think it should also signal a shift in how security treats men and women.

The 1010 WINS report does go on to mention with some surprise that girls often join these street gangs for protection. Their surprise in turn surprised me, because this is often the same reason boys join gangs. Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander.

Sneaking the following razor sharp CDs into da club:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
(shoegazing as high art)

Ministry - Twitch
(Al and company break out of the euro mold with help from Adrian Sherwood)

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
(words are inadequate for this piece of perfection)

E-Sassin - The Best Of Sound Sphere Recordings
(molding the darkness into slick techstep)

Iron Halo Device - The Collapsing Void
(cut and paste industrial ambient crushfest)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home