Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I can't get no

I have to say that for the most part I am satisfied with life.

My music continues to develop. I'm spinning on a fairly regular basis, so I get to share my audio addiction with folks. I feel healthy and I'm definitely in better shape than I've been in awhile. I’m still single, but it’s been that way so long I sometimes barely notice. I've been having a lot of fun outside of work doing work-ish stuff, like developing my own websites and databases; interesting stuff.

It's real work that presents the problem.

The project I've been working on here at JPMC has all but wound down, so I spend the majority of my day just sitting here. I surf the web a lot, which is dangerous because it means I have time to further fuel my music jones and further deplete the contents of my wallet. I'm also just bored. I would rather be too busy than have nothing to do.

Many people would say that it's a great job, essentially getting paid for doing nothing. I'm just not wired that way. Instead of reveling in all of this free (yet paid) time I have, it drives me nuts. I think about all of the stuff I could be doing instead. I could be composing (I’ve downloaded some virtual synths to my machine here at work, but all my real gear is at home) or working on my own website (which I do sometimes; I’ve gotten around the FTP thing by creating an upload page).

I just don’t feel productive.

So I updated my resume and have spoken with Princeton Information (my consulting company) about finding me a new position. They’ve already got their eye on something for me, but it would involve moving back into the VB/VBA world, which I’m not too crazy about. Feels like a step backward. Also, the position would be on the trading floor and those guys tend to be complete assholes. Plus I’d have to be there at 7am. I’ve no problem with getting to work that early, but I’d have to skip out on my morning spin classes.

I guess will see what happens.

The long and the short of it is this: if you’re looking for a topnotch ASP developer, let me know. I work fast, I work well, and I love to program. In other words, I’m a consummate geek.

As evidenced by some of my favorite geeky computer music:

Plumbline - Circles
(shimmering glitch and tweeks to soothe the savage breast)

Plumbline - Pin Point
(more glitchy, tweeky, soothey breasty stuff)

Authist & Dub One! - Dub Illusions EP
(natty neo-dub from two fine German gents)

Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
(it is indeed a dirty epic)

Skalpel - Skalpel
(cut and paste Polish jazz down tempo funkery)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home