Thursday, June 02, 2005

Slave To The Grind

Things here at work have been damned near comatose for quite some time now, so imagine my surprise when I was hit by a veritable avalanche of stuff yesterday, just before noon. So I began to plow diligently through this snowdrift of BS. Noon became three. Three led to five. Five bled into seven. I finally managed to get out from under at about 9:30 last evening.

Now, normally this would not be a problem. I'm used to having to work long hours on occasion and in some cases a mountain of work can be strangely motivational. However, yesterday pissed me off. The reason for my pissiness? One word:

Kraftwerk.

Yup. I missed the damned concert.

No Kraftwerk-flavored goodness for me, not to mention $45 of my hard earned cashola (plus the $5 million processing fee from TicketBastard) down the tubes.

I am most annoyed.

Normally I would have said, "Fuck it. I'll finish the work tomorrow morning." However, the changes that needed to be made affected our overseas clients, so it was "get it done now or it won't work when they get in". So I was a good little worker drone and put in the time.

But somebody still owes me a Kraftwerk concert.

Yes, I've seen them before, but I was quite looking forward to immersing myself once again in the cool, digitized world of Ralf and Florian. And it's not like these guys are touring every year. I was also supposed to meet up with Bianca , Rebecca and Nick, and a bunch of other folk, so I missed out on the social stuff, too.

Boo hoo. Woe is me. Who wouldn't rather hang out with these guys instead of work?



I just pray I don't get worked out of Meat Beat Manifesto on the 30th.

The following sound nothing like Kraftwerk:

Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
("I did it with a whiffle ball bat, so...")

Crunch-O-Matic - Caution Do Not Play
(good advice; I'd forgotten how bad this was; lame cut-and-paste industrial, circa 1991)

Still Stupid - Still Stupid
(rough, DIY punk from Philadelpia, 1984; lovingly transferred from tape to CD)

Colophon - MP3 Compilation
(droning guitars and heavy beats)

808 State - Utd. State 90
(that's right; "Cubik", bitch)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my complete sympathy. I missed bauhaus in '98 at Roseland due to the same bullshit.

The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants will pay. Oh yes.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

We will rise up and sweep aside the corporate greed. And then the world will fall to pieces due to the innate stupidity of anarchy...

Oh well.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still feel soooo bad!!!! it was motherfucking amazing. the girl standing next to me at the end of the concert said "it was a pleasure dancing next to you"

lol

when i was the girl at the beginning of the concert reading a book on the celestial prophecy!
ha!
oh don't worry...we shall meat beat and have drinks and motherfucking be merry!!!!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Glad you had a good time, B. Happy gradumication. And yes, Meat Beat shall kick some royal ass, for in the beginning there was Jack. And Jack had a groove.

1:29 PM  
Blogger derek rush said...

oh MAN. i am so sorry. you should've called, i would've taken the ticket off your hands in that instance.

4:33 PM  
Blogger derek rush said...

OH YES, and you are dead on about crunch-o-matic. bottom-of-the-barrel waxtraxish stuff.

but "cubik"? oh yes. that kills.

now, if 808 were coming around, i'd go!

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home