Monday, May 08, 2006

What a weekend

The winter months are always tough for me. I tend to become a bit of a hermit, huddled in my apartment with only a book or my DVD player for company. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but suffice it to say that I'm considerably less likely to go out and do stuff when it gets dark and cold by 5:30pm. However, this last weekend may have signified the advent of summer.

And, man, am I glad it's back.

I headed out with Bianca on Friday night. We went to Subtonic, which was pretty fun. There weren't too many people there at first, so we hung out at the bar chatting with some of B's friends. I got some dancing in, which was cool, but a lot of the beats were just too slow to really throw down to. Still, I had a good time. We stayed until about 1:45. At this point, the place had gotten pretty crowded, but we had managed to find a bit of space to dance in, which was good because a DJ from Ghostly International was doing his thing (i.e. much better beats to flop around to).

I did my usual back to back spin classes on Saturday morning and then headed to the doctor's for my annual checkup. After receiving a clean bill of health, I met up with Danny and we headed into the city to catch MI3. Thoroughly enjoyable, despite the presence of a small, squirming child to my left and a majorly mental old man sitting behind us who would not stop crinkling the plastic bag he had clutched in this hands. I guess the movie was entertaining enough to keep this distractions from really... distracting me. Not entirely, but close enough.

After the movie, it was off to dinner at Arte Cafe, which was fantastic. We had some lovely vino and much incredible food. By the time we'd finished, it was slightly after 9pm. Now, Danny and I had discussed going to the Carnegie Club to catch Steven Maglio and the Stan Rubin Orchestra (they're a Sinatra tribute act). Well, by the time dinner was finished, I was convinced that we should go (as was Danny). So we went.

Simply amazing.

Maglio sounds EXACTLY like Sinatra. So much so that you could close your eyes and believe that you were actually listening to Ol' Blue Eyes himself. I had a thoroughly enjoyable time and plan on making a regular habit of it (in spite of the somewhat prohibitive cost). By the time the band had finished, I was in such a mellow and pleased state that I simply did not want to leave.

But leave we did.

Danny got me home slightly after midnight and then headed back to Long Island. Now I had already signed up for the Five Borough Bike Tour on Sunday, but considering that I had to be at the starting line at 7am... I took a pass. I slept in until 9:30 and then bummed around the house for a bit. I was, however, in the mood to do something musical, so I starting compiling a new mix. At first I thought I was going to go with a down tempo, trip hop, DJ-Krush type of vibe, but this rapidly mutated into a more ambient/ambient house type of deal. The result? DJ Abstract 15: The Slipstream Mix. 70 minutes of synths, sweeps, and mellow beats.

01 Single Cell Orchestra - Transmit Liberation
02 Young American Primitive - Sunrise
03 The Higher Intelligence Agency - Spectral
04 The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds (Dance Mk II)
05 Primal Scream - Higher Than The Sun
06 Influx - Dreamscape
07 Locust - Prospero
08 Omicron - A Thousand Dyes On The Moist Earth
09 Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - Obsidian (Deconstructure Edit)
10 Opus III - When She Rises



This mix really went places that I really did not expect. I am, however, enjoying it right now. If you'd like a copy, let me know.

So, all told, this was probably one of the most enjoyable weekends I've had in quite some time; lots of fun, great weather, and an innate feeling of contentment. Let's hope this trend continues.

Mixin' it up:

Various - DJ Abstract 15: The Slipstream Mix
(slowly spin those wheels of steel)

Various - DJ C's Mid 90's Style Chillout
(different, but still mellow)

Various - Spintrax 11
(anti-mellow)

Various - Speed Limit 140 BPM Plus
(proto-DnB)

Venetian Snares - Doll Doll Doll
(he'll fuckin' murder your young styles like JonBenet Ramsey)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home